A Hiking Holiday in the Mostviertel Region in Austria
The Mostviertel offers pleasant trails and enchantment for your senses. Set your sights high with a hike to the top of the Hochkar Mountain where a panorama platform protrudes out of the cliff.
A paradise awaits you directly in front of our door, perfect for a hiking holiday in Austria. Especially in spring, when millions of fruit tree blossoms adorn the landscape, and show the entire splendour of the region. Hiking through this sea of blossoms is pure enchantment for your senses.
The Mostviertel also has other facets: gentle meadows and peaceful forests, deep gorges and roaring waterfalls in the Ötscher-Tormäuer Natural Park, as well as panorama views from the 1,700m high Hochkar.
Alpine hiking tips in the Mostviertel
Ötscher-Tormäuer Natural Park in the Northern Limestone Alps mountain range (approx. 1 hour drive)
- The Ötscher, the highest mountain in the Mostviertel, is almost 2,000 m high. The climb along the ridge to the top is a challenging tour.
- A fantastic natural park surrounds the Ötscher mountain. A round-trip tour from Sulzbichl in Puchenstuben brings you in approximately 3.5 hours to the Treffling Waterfall, where water gushes 120m into the depths. You can reach the Ötscher stalactite cave on the adventure trail from the "Schindlhütte" snack bar near Gaming in around 45 minutes. A guided tour through the 54m deep cave reveals an underground world of wonders.
- The moderately difficult Fable Trail in Mitterbach stretches from Lake Erlauf to the Gemeindealpe Mountain and takes approx. 4.5 hours. The reward is a breath-taking view of the Ötscher Mountain.
- One of the most beautiful hikes in Austria: The Ötschergräben, the deep, wooded gorges which are often called Austria's Grand Canyon, are wild, romantic and full of high-Alpine plants. The Ötscherbach River formed impressive gorges that you can hike through, partly over thrilling bridges and stiles. The little waterfalls and the three 90m waterfalls on this hike are lovely.
Tour route: from Wienerbruck to Lassing Waterfall and to the Stierwaschboden hydorelectric power station, then through Ötschergräben to the Ötscherhias snack bar. From there to the Mira Waterfall and the Scheier Waterfall. From the Mitterbach Train Station with the Mariazeller Railway back to Wienerbruck. Duration: approx. 4-5 hours.
Hochkar (approx. 1 hour drive)
- Experience the highest lookout point in Lower Austria on the fantastic 360° Skytour on the Hochkar Mountain in the Göstling Alps.
- Starting point is the Hochkar summit station at 1,760 m. It's only a short walk to the 900m long Skytour. A 62m long suspension bridge provides the initial thrilling view all the way to the Danube Valley. Immediately following this is the Panorama Platform, a steel construction which protrudes 8.5m from the cliff, 120m above the ground. From the platform you have a view of Noten, Schmalzmaier, Dürrenstein and all of the Eastern alps. The Skytour continues on over a small bridge to a narrow and rocky path – the view from here: from Gesäuses all the way to the Dachstein, 100km away, and to the Peak of the Hochkar Mountain.
Nordic walking in the Mostviertel
You can start a Nordic walking tour any time directly from the RelaxResort Kothmühle. The tranquil rural area around Neuhofen an der Ybbs is perfect for discovering individual trails. As an alternative, you can take the 5.9km long trail along the orchards and an idyllic stream.
The Nordic walking centre in the Mostviertel is located in Seitenstetten. 60 km of marked Nordic walking trails lead you through the hilly landscape. You can borrow Nordic walking poles at the monastery shop in the Steitenstetten Abbey.
We'll see you soon on your Nordic walking and hiking holiday in Austria. If you want to book your room or package at the RelaxResort Kothmühle right away...
...then click here!